So this was the last week of class in 148. we didn't cover any new material really, it was mostly just review. The one thing I will mention is what is called memoization. Memoization is basically a preventative measure to stop a function from doing unnecessary work. For example, when taking a factorial of a number, if you already know certain Fibonacci numbers up to a point, its a lot easier and efficient to take the already calculated Fibonacci numbers and add on to them, than it is to calculate the entire sequence once again. So, in memoization, we store calculated values inside a structure such as a list or dictionary, and when we call the function, we check this structure for pre-existing material we can use.
Anyways, as for final thoughts: I did enjoy 148 as a whole, and I have a new found love of recursion (though linked lists...not so much). I felt the work load was fair, and the course was manageable. Even if it wasn't required, it is definitely a course a would recommend people to take if they're interested in the subject matter. Good luck to all my classmates for the future!
No comments:
Post a Comment